Archive

Archive for the ‘Ealing’ Category

Decapitated wallaby found in Ealing animal park

Sunday, 23 October, 2011 2 comments

A wallaby was found decapitated in its enclosure at an animal park in Hanwell, Ealing on Thursday, October 20.

Slain: A wallaby (similar to this one) had its head cut off on Thursday.

Keepers were shocked to find 7-year-old Parma wallaby Bruce left dead when they arrived at Brent Lodge Park, known locally as Bunny Park, on Thursday morning with the head removed. No other animals were injured but fellow wallaby Rolph was found visibly distressed.

Police confirmed an intruder gained entry by cutting through the perimeter fence to the enclosure at some time on Wednesday night. Once inside, they killed the wallaby.

Detective Inspector Tim Yates of Ealing CID said: “I know the families who use this park will be very concerned about this attack, but it is a very unusual incident and we are determined to find those responsible.”

A veterinary examination confirmed a knife had been used.

Councillor Bassam Mahfouz, Ealing Council’s cabinet member for transport and environment, said: “I am completely sickened by this attack on a defenceless animal and I know the whole community is equally shocked.”

No arrests have been made. Police are appealing for witnesses and enquiries are ongoing.

As a member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos & Aquariums, the centre houses a variety of animals including mongooses, goats, guinea pigs and rabbits, exotic birds and an indoor area with monkeys, reptiles and spiders.

Contact Ealing Police on 0208 721 7030 or ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 with any information in connection with the incident.

Image credit wwarby, Flickr.

Advertisements

Teacher groped airline steward after drinking a pint of whisky

Friday, 16 September, 2011 1 comment

Katherine Goldberg, 25, from Ealing Common, has appeared in court for groping a air steward 33,000ft in the air and for being drunk aboard an aircraft.

The teacher demanded sex and grabbed the steward’s groin after drinking a very large amount of whisky.

It is thought she drank 500ml, which is the equivalent of ten double shots in a pub or bar.

Goldberg, who is originally from South Africa, was believed to be returning from Johannesburg after visiting relatives when the incident took place on the Airbus A340-600 at 5.30am British time.

A spokesman for the airline said: ‘Virgin Atlantic can confirm that the VS602 from Johannesburg was met by police on arrival at Heathrow and a passenger was arrested.’

She was granted unconditional bail yesterday at Uxbridge Crown court and is due to appear back in the same court next week.

Teens bailed after Southall nightclub stabbing

Tuesday, 6 September, 2011 Leave a comment

Three teenagers, two aged 18 and one aged 17, have been released on bail after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed in a nightclub in Southall on Thursday night.

The victim, who has not been named, was attending an under 21s night at the Tudor Rose, a Caribbean club, when he was attacked at around 23:30.

He was taken to hospital with a minor stab wound to the chest and was released the following day.

The victim’s mother claimed to be disgusted by the club’s lax security in a situation which could have turned fatal.

In a statement, she said: “My son went to a club in Southall and they allowed people to go in there with a weapon.

“He’s never, ever been in any trouble with the police – he’s a law abiding citizen, people can vouch for that. The doctors said luckily he moved in a certain way so it’s just a superficial stab wound, but I could’ve lost my son last night.

“He was a bit shaken up but he’s OK now, you’ve just got to move on. I can’t stop him going out but I won’t let him go there again.

“Councillors have been trying to shut the place down. The owners keep calling it racism, but I’m a black woman, it’s about protecting peoples’ children”.

The teens, who were arrested following the incident, have been bailed and are due to appear in court on November 18.

 

Ealing Shooting: Update

Tuesday, 6 September, 2011 3 comments

Metropolitan Police are now appealing for any witnesses after a shooting outside the Black George Pub in West Ealing in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Police and ambulances were called to the scene just before 5am to find a 21 year old man with a severe graze to his left shoulder. He was taken to Ealing Hospital for treatment but was released shortly afterwards.

A second man, aged 25, who had left the scene before the police got there, arrived at Kings College Hospital with a gun shot injury to his foot. He is said to be in a stable condition and his injuries are not life threatening.

The police are now appealing to anyone who was in the West Ealing area at that time on Sunday morning, and are particularly keen to hear from any witnesses who may have seen a dark coloured Vauxhall Astra driving off at speed from the location.

If you have any information, please contact Trident on 0208 733 4774 or, alternately, if you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.

Categories: Ealing, News Tags: , , ,

Shooting in Ealing

Sunday, 4 September, 2011 1 comment

A shooting took place this morning on the A4020 Uxbridge Road in Hanwell, West Ealing.

The London Ambulance Service was called to the scene at 5am after reports of the shooting involving 2 males outside the Black George pub.

Reports say 3 shots were fired in the drive-by incident and two people were injured, but there were no fatalities. Police officers attended the scene and one man was taken to hospital. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Operation Trident, the division of the Metropolitan Police which specialises in gun crime, has been informed. No arrests have been made and enquiries are continuing.

The road, which lies between Culmington Road and Broughton Road, remains closed at this time but is expected to be re-opened later this afternoon.

Lifeguard jailed for looting

Saturday, 3 September, 2011 1 comment

Aaron Mulholland, 30, a lifeguard from Southall who joined looters as they ransacked a phone shop in Camberwell during the riots, was jailed for 13 months on Thursday. As Mulholland was led from the dock, his relatives hurled abuse at the judge, yelling: ‘That’s what you get for having good character,’ and: ‘You get less for rape!’

Reports say Mulholland sobbed in the dock yesterday as a court was told he helped pillage a mobile phone shop in Camberwell. He had drunkenly followed looters into Fone World in Church Street, south London, after leaving a nearby pub in the early hours of August 9, the third day of the rioting across London.

Inner London Crown Court heard he was caught by police crawling out of the store, which suffered £25,000 of losses, beneath forced security shutters. Mulholland, who worked at Peckham Pulse health club and had no previous convictions, was empty handed when he left the shop.

The following morning, once sober, he apologised to police for any trouble he caused, and was said to be remorseful for letting his family down.

The court heard a series of family tragedies had led him to develop a drink problem.

Categories: Ealing, News Tags: , ,

Trade Unions protest against factory closure

Friday, 26 August, 2011 3 comments

Trade unionists have been campaigning against the closure of a factory in Acton which employs disabled people. 

Remploy has set out to give disabled people, and those with learning difficulties, the opportunity to work by providing sustainable employment opportunities. The Remploy site in Portal Way, North Acton, employs 36 people, 30 of whom have disabilities. Staff at the factory make a wide range of goods, from office furniture to electronic equipment.

The scheme, established in 1945 and with a network of factories and outlets nationwide, costs £36 million a year. It is owned by the government but, unlike private enterprises, is not required to turn a profit. However, if things go ahead as planned, the Acton factory may be closed for good.

On Saturday, campaigners were leafleting in Acton’s Market Place, encouraging shoppers to sign a petition against the closure.

Eve Turner, the secretary for West London TUC said: “The risk is that these local workers will be thrown on to the scrap heap. It would be another blow to disabled people, whose benefits are being cut even if they are too ill to work”.

Responding,  Angie Bray, MP for Ealing Central and Acton said:  “I was certainly struck by the positive attitude I encountered when I visited the Remploy factory in Acton last year”.

She went on to say: “Once the consultation closes in October, the Government is looking to invest in the best possible system for disabled people who want to work. The aim being to encourage an extra 35,000 people into employment.”